Affiliate and Referral links are used below to promote products I love and recommend. I receive a commission on any purchases made through these links. Please see my disclosure policy for more details.
Are you looking for ways to teach about the real St. Patrick with your kids? I love finding out the real story behind popular holidays. I also have an Irish background, my brother has red hair after all.
While I am not Catholic (I am a Seventh-Day Adventist Christian) I think it is important to learn about other religions and cultures, particularly ones that relate to our heritage.
I wanted to find out the real story of St. Patrick’s and find some fun and easy ways you can learn about him with your kids. Today I am sharing what I have found; resources for teaching the REAL story of St. Patrick to kids.
(Posted Updated: Feb. 2023)
Here are some resources for teachers teaching about Saint Patrick’s Day and his life, which is far less well known than his myth.
Table of contents
- Who was the Real St. Patrick?
- Books & Movies About the Real St. Patrick
- Printables and Unit Studies About the Real St. Patrick
- Activities for St. Patrick’s Day
- Fun Foods for St. Patrick’s Day
Who was the Real St. Patrick?
- He was never officially made a Saint by the Roman Catholic Church
- He wasn’t from Ireland either, he was from Britain (England)
- He was captured as a boy and became a slave
- He learned about God and felt called to go back to Ireland to spread Christianity (he was a missionary)
- No one knows for sure if he used the shamrock as a symbol of the Trinity (the Father, Son & Holy Spirit)
- St. Patrick’s Day was a religious holiday in Ireland for many years before it became the modern holiday it is today
- Shamrocks, rainbows, leprechauns, and other St. Patrick’s Day symbols are part of Irish myths, not the real holiday
Links to check out:
- St. Patrick’s Day at History.com
- The Real St. Patrick at ChristianHistory.com
- Story of St. Patrick – YouTube Video
- St. Patrick – The Real Story – YouTube Video
I always watch YouTube videos first before sharing them with my kids, so be sure to check them out to see if they are appropriate for your family before watching them together.
Books & Movies About the Real St. Patrick
I personally have not read this book, but I did read a couple of blog posts about it and the reviews on Amazon and it looks like a great resource. I will definitely be getting this for when E is older.
Hang in with me on this one, I know the title and the cover have nothing to do with St. Patrick’s Day. However, there is a short mini-movie before the main story that tells about the real St. Patrick. And if your kids already love Veggie Tales as much as we do, then they will love this entire DVD anyways.
Printables and Unit Studies About the Real St. Patrick
Here are some unit studies and book lists for learning about the real St. Patrick. These are geared towards homeschoolers but can be used by anyone, even if you don’t homeschool.
St. Patrick’s Day Object Lesson – From Paradise Praises
St. Patrick’s Day Unit Study – From Paradise Praises
St. Patrick Printable Study – The Kennedy Adventures
St. Patrick’s Day Unit Study & Book List – Homeschool.com
Activities for St. Patrick’s Day
Here are some fun activities with shamrocks, rainbows, leprechauns, and more with the traditional St. Patrick’s day theme most of us know.
20 St. Patrick’s Day Fine Motor & Sensory Activities for Kids
St. Patrick’s Day Sensory Bin
St. Patrick’s Day Themed Sensory Play – Buggy and Buddy
St. Patricks Day Sensory Bin – Happy Toddler Playtime
St. Patrick’s Day Fine Motor Activities – Pink Oatmeal
33 St. Patrick’s Day Crafts – Hands-On As We Grow
Fun Foods for St. Patrick’s Day
Cream of Asparagus Soup for St. Patrick’s Day – Kiddie Foodies
ST. Patrick’s Day Rainbow Snack – Rainy Day Mum
Homemade Lucky Charm Bars – Sweet C’s
Rainbow Cookies – Kitchen Counter Chronicles
St. Patrick’s Day Smoothie – Artsy Mom
You can also find all my ideas and posts on my Pinterest board below:
Follow Heather @ Golden Reflections Blog’s board From Golden Reflections Blog on Pinterest.
You May Also Like:
- Teaching Children About the True Meaning of Easter
- 10 Spring Sensory Activities for Toddlers and Preschoolers
- St. Patrick’s Day Sensory Bin
- Easter Themed Sensory Bin